Most people feel wary of unknown calls as there is a good chance that they are spam, pranks, a company that is trying to sell you something or even worse, stalkers. Sometimes they can be pretty insistent even if you reject the call time after time. Blocking calls from a specific number on your iPhone is simple. You just need to go to settings, select Phone and then Blocked. However, if you want to block unknown callers, you will need to create a contact for this type of calls first. Here is what you can do:
- Go to recent calls on your iPhone and get the call information.
- Copy “Unknown Caller” and then go to your contacts.
- Click the “+” to add a new contact and then paste “Unknown Caller” in the following fields: first name, last name, company and phone number. Tap done. This will enable you to block the caller.
- Alternatively, you can copy “Unknown Caller” and paste it directly into the blocked caller list. You won’t need to add a phone number.
Below you will find other methods that you can try to avoid annoying calls from an unknown number
Do Not Disturb
- Go to Settings
- Enable “Do not disturb” manually.
- Select only allow call from your Contacts list and do not allow repeated calls within 3 minutes to get through.
Other option is to download the silent ringtone. You can set this as your iPhone’s default ringtone. Then go to My Contacts and set a different ringtone for your contacts. This will ensure that calls from an unknown number don’t ring. While this option may take some time while you adjust the ringtone for your contacts and it doesn’t really get rid of the problem as you will still see the calls, at least you can ignore them easily.
Finally, you can try TrapCall by Eli Finkelman, a free app that will allow you to find out who is behind the “No Caller ID” and Unknown calls. You just need to sign up for the app to prevent annoying calls from unknown numbers and to track down the caller if needed. While some features require a premium package, TrapCall is a service worth considering if you are constantly receiving this type of calls. When you use the app, you just need to decline the “No Caller ID” calls. These will be sent for unmasking and the app promises to find out who is calling. You can download it from the App Store.